New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

mishima
Starting Member

Germany
1 Posts

Posted - October 27 2011 :  04:03:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ok so im new here and i have a few questions...

first one is: when doing a self massage on your forearms, is it bad to NOT stroke towards to heart? i dont know where i heard that but i remember someone saying you have to stroke towards the heart for some reason...carpal tunnel massage in particular.

Also! second question: whats a self massage that will help me sleep? or one that helps you sleep.

I wonder if I'm the only kid here...

mick.shaw1973
Starting Member

Australia
1 Posts

Posted - October 31 2011 :  05:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit mick.shaw1973's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hi Mishima,
Generally speaking, massaging towards the heart is beneficial in helping promote blood flow and toxin removal.
Some techniques go away from the heart, really depends on which techniques you are using.

Sleep self help: Many things can impact on your ability to get to sleep easily, noise, respiratory difficulties, not maintaining a regular sleep/wake cycle, not getting enough sun light exposure during the day, not exercising, drinking stimulants before bed, the food you eat, lighting in the area where you are sleeping, your thoughts, etc.

Taking control of these things will make a big difference to how quickly you can get to sleep. Getting to sleep is an individual thing, but the more things you can do to relax your body, get your body contented and relax your mind, the easier it will be to fall asleep.

Self Massage can also help, but I really think that a lot of the things above need to be right as well. As for what can you do, try a gentle relaxing stroking head, temple, neck and arm massage. I also find rubbing my belly gently (like parents do to babies) also helps sooth me to sleep!

If you can, find someone who can give you a nice relaxing full body massage. I find if I get one in the afternoon, I usually have a great sleep that night too!

Hope that helps.

Stay Well, Stay Relaxed!
Mick
Remedial Massage Therapist in training
Massage By Mick
http://www.MassageByMick.com
Hallet Cove, SA
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: