MassageOnline.net Forum
MassageOnline.net Forum
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Members | Search | FAQ
 All Forums
 Massage Schools and Training
 General Discussion - Schools and Training
 Strange situation

Note: You must be registered in order to post a reply.
To register, click here. Registration is FREE!

Screensize:
UserName:
Password:
Format Mode:
Format: BoldItalicizedUnderlineStrikethrough Align LeftCenteredAlign Right Horizontal Rule Insert HyperlinkInsert Email Insert CodeInsert QuoteInsert List

* HTML is OFF
* Forum Code is ON
Smilies
Smile [:)] Big Smile [:D] Cool [8D] Blush [:I]
Tongue [:P] Evil [):] Wink [;)] Clown [:o)]
Black Eye [B)] Eight Ball [8] Frown [:(] Shy [8)]
Shocked [:0] Angry [:(!] Dead [xx(] Sleepy [|)]
Kisses [:X] Approve [^] Disapprove [V] Question [?]

Check here to subscribe to this topic.

T O P I C    R E V I E W
sadanyagci Posted - July 24 2015 : 11:39:29 AM
Hi. I'm looking into training in massage therapy, however I have a bit of a weird situation.

I use a method of provoking my body to give me movement indications and instructions as to what it would prefer I do with it. This works wonders for diet, as well as in several other areas. I also use it when I massage. I am terrible at massage, unless I pay attention to those movement indications.

I asked someone to compare my massages to one they just received from a 20 year professional. The comparison was that I was just as good, however for entirely different reasons. The pro had skill and technique, as well as strength and stamina, but remained in areas a little too long, applied wrong amounts of pressure at times, and followed their routine rather than changing areas when needed. All I had going for me was I always know exactly what area to move to and how much pressure to apply. I'm frequently told I suddenly changed areas to where they wanted me to go just when they were about to say something, which is pretty cool I suppose. I have no technique, skill or stamina.

What I do also has limitations, I'm hoping mostly due to lack of practice. I can only get instructions in one hand at a time, so the other hand either mirrors on the other side, tries to assist the hand I'm using, or does nothing. A sort of mental stress builds up if I try to pay attention to both at the same time. Also, if the person tries directing me, that can also build up that same stress, as it feels like I'm getting two separate sets of directions. This tends to happen in the beginning a lot, as normally someone tells me to work on a particular area, but the instructions I'm getting want me to start a bit far from the area, and sort of end up drifting slowly towards it.

Another limitation is this massage method is linked to other social instincts, and I'm unsure if I could get it working with a general stranger. If that's the case, I'd need to sort of interview/get to know clients beforehand if I did become a professional. Either that, or have a massage routine I fall back on when I'm flying blind, so to speak.

So, my question is, with this strange skill, and the desire to incorporate it into training for an actual career, what would you recommend I do for training and dealing with the classroom setting? How would you recommend I incorporate it into a career?

MassageOnline.net Forum © 2000-04 Snitz Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.01 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000