General Discussion - The Business of Massage
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

forrey
Starting Member

1 Posts

Posted - March 16 2005 :  5:00:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm a newly licensed therapist with an opportunity to work at a small spa/salon (estheticians, manicurists, etc... no hair stylists). While I would prefer to rent space, she would like to pay me a cut of each massage. This is a high-end joint, so a cut will still be a nice chunk of change, but can anyone guide me as to what the 'standard' percentage is? 50/50? 40/60? ....hopefully not 30/70 (unless it's in my favor, of course).

She will be providing all my clients (since I'm brand-spankin' new)- how much does that play into it?

Thanks for your input!

inspiredtouch

USA
11 Posts

Posted - March 18 2005 :  12:54:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit inspiredtouch's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hello,

This percentage will be different depending on what part of the world you are in. But if you think about it - if you have no clients on your own - then having 100% of your cut of your own generated work would be nothing. So any cut of some work elsewhere would probably be most welcome. All you can do is negotiate in good faith and hope the owner understands just how much work is involved in each session.

Don't be afraid to negotiate and discuss the split with the owner/manager. Unless they have been doing this for a long time they may not know what to pay either. If they have been paying unfairly in the past then most likely that is why they are looking for someone to do the work now.

Bottom line: Don't be afraid to discuss everything up front.

A good idea would to be have some personal business type cards printed up and give them to the people you see as clients. Alternately keep a little black book and take down people's name and numbers as you work with them. In the long run your relationship with these people may outlast the one you have with the business owner - but if you have no way to contact each other then all will be lost. Keep in mind that this will most likely be frowned upon by management - so be discreet.

You can also offer some kind of extra something for anyone who gets you some business. For example, offer a free or half price session to anyone who gets you a referral client. Give the referral client the same card and same offer too. You will be surprised how quickly your name will get around.

Hope this helps,

Good luck.

Inspired Touch Massage by appointment only.
Located in the West Palm Beach, FL area.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
MassageOnline.net Forum © 2000-04 Snitz Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.02 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000